Thursday 14 November 2013

Bricks to the Bush

Living where I am means that it is easy to think about the things we miss out on but sometimes our isolation makes us special and we get to experience things that not everyone gets the chance to.

Last year we had a life sized Lego Forest pop up in our Living Desert (which you can read more about on my blog here). This was a part of the Festival of Play to celebrate 50 years of Lego in Australia. It was very cool...

The Living Desert


This year we have been lucky enough to have another Lego exhibition visiting us at the Albert Kersten Mining and Mineral Museum. The Lego Colosseum has been on display and there are enough bricks in this to make any young (and old) Lego lover's heart pitter patter!! 

The Brickman
This largest ever scale model of Rome’s famous Colosseum has been built entirely from LEGO bricks by Ryan McNaught, aka "The BrickMan". Mr McNaught has Master B's definition of the dream job being one of 13 LEGO certified Professionals and the only one for the southern hemisphere. If you have recently seen a big Lego something chances are Ryan was there!

The Brickman

You could spend all day wandering around, or if you are like me, on your hands and knees with the children crawling around marvelling at the detail and sheer Lego-ness of it all.



 

The Brickman
I loved the fountain


 











Look at that happy little face...in Lego heaven!

 
I think Lego brings out the child in many of us. We have probably played with it as children and many of us who are parents or aunts and uncles have vacuumed it up or stepped on it.

I feel lucky to have been able to see this exhibition and I hope it's one of many that visits us in the bush, reminding us that we all need to play.


Now I will hop off my Early Childhood soapbox...and go an pick up some Lego so I can vacuum :)
Kate x





Linking with Jacana for Totally Thursday









Share:

12 comments

  1. Gosh lego brings back so many memories. I used to love it when I was kid, my kids were into it for a short time too. Very clever what they can build out of it :) Cheers, Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very clever isn't it Tanya. Imagine getting paid to play with it if you were a Lego fan....my son is imagining how he can anyway! :)

      Delete
  2. This looks amazing Kate, you have captured it beautifully! Santa is bringing some Lego to our house this year, we have decided it is time to graduate from Duplo, which the kids adore. I am not sure what to do with the Duplo mountain...I suspect the Lego and Duplo might have to live together for a while.

    Hope you are enjoying this spectacular, sunny day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best toy ever Jane! We still have some (a lot) of Duplo too. There is always some kind of Lego on our wish lists and a visit to Legoland on the 'dream on' list :)

      Delete
  3. My son used to love his Lego, and yes I used to find it everywhere! Those big lego trees and flowers look awesome out in the desert, I love it. How fortunate for you to see that for real! I wonder if they glue those displays together in the case of any 'accidents'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered that too. Do they take it apart a little to move it around the country or is it glued?

      Delete
  4. Don't ever throw Lego out......our grandchildren are now playing with the left overs from the 80's. Some frustration when following old patterns that pieces are missing! Maybe they were sucked up the Hoover too?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm they could be anywhere. Does that mean you are at risk of stepping on pieces all over again!!!?

      Delete
  5. I think lego is one of the world's best inventions. Apparently there is a new legoland now in Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been told this Jacana! Master B has even worked out what you have to do to get there from Singapore...just in case we are ever there :)

      Delete
  6. WOW - how lucky are you guys!!!!? What an awesome exhibit, that Colosseum is AMAZING!! Thanks for sharing your Lego-y adventure Kate... xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I love knowing that you're reading and appreciate the time taken to comment.
Kate x

© Kate Writes | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig