Tuesday 2 June 2015

Everyday Life Through My Lens

"The world only exists in your eyes. You can make it as big or as small as you want" ~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

I spend a lot  a little bit of time looking at beautiful pictures on Instagram and I seem to follow many photographers, particularly those who travel. I find myself falling into that social media trap of wanting things others have...snow covered mountains, mist-filled woods with deer wandering around, an orchard full of apples, lakes full of artistic reflections. For those of you who have an idea of where I live, you know this is not going to happen! This is not what I see every day.
London, UK

As some of you will have read, I have recently been on my own adventure, snapping beautiful scenery and documenting things I found awe inspiring. Now that I am home again I have had to have a stern word with myself about my appreciation of home views!
I know that I am very lucky in so many ways, living where I do. I know that others come to visit my home to get a taste of the outback and the vast spaces I have grown up with. I know that what I see all around me is as foreign and exciting to many as a bicycle lined canal or a row of brightly coloured buildings is to me.
 
Denmark

I am setting myself a challenge! I will stop wishing for views that others have. I will appreciate my everyday life and views, not just in theory but through my lens as well. Look out Instagram...there's some mining town, outback life coming your way.

Broken Hill
 


Broken Hill
the RFDS is crucial to those living here




red, sandy creek beds, big old trees and occasionally rainwater rushing past
Broken Hill
mining town views



an excellent view of the night sky
beautiful colours of the late afternoon
Do you get caught up in thinking your everyday reality is boring?
Drop by my Instagram profile to see how I am doing at everyday appreciation.
Kate xx

Linking with Trish for Wordless Wednesday...because it's almost wordless! :)



Share:

12 comments

  1. I adore the outback ... Dorothea Mackellar's poem "I love a sunburnt country" comes to mind. We travelled Australia in a caravan with our 2 kids in 2001, I always thought the outback was "boring" until then but now I know how magnificent it really is. Hubster and I hope to do it again one day. We've just returned from our first trip to Europe and loved it, after all these years of being jealous of others heading overseas. It only took 48 years, but was worth the wait!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't Europe special?
      I think you have to look at the vastness and the detail to appreciate the outback but it is so very different to anything else!

      Delete
  2. I think the outback is beautiful! Yes I do fall into the same trap of thinking where I live is boring and being envious of all the fabulous places I see others going to on Instagram. Ultimately though, I think I am so lucky to be living in a country such as Australia and though Brizzy gets a bit hot for me in summer - it's part of me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Thsnks for dropping by Min :)

      Delete
  3. Well you don't get a clear view of the night sky like that where I live! Love your photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Di. Getting better at nighttime photography is on tbe bucket list!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous photos Kate - we get lovely night skies here too - sparkly and bright. That photo captures it stunningly.
    Afternoon colours and sunsets are amazing here too.
    Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great shots. I love the angles and different perspectives you've shared.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always good to appreciate what we have but only natural to yearn for something different every now and then don't you think. I love looking at the vastness of the outback but deep down I'm glad I live in England. But how I wish we had your starry night.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The stars are something special Anne. Thanks for dropping in :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I love knowing that you're reading and appreciate the time taken to comment.
Kate x

© Kate Writes | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig